Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day 1: Barrio Brewery (Tucson, AZ)


Having finally finished my six-month long fire season with the Silver City Hotshots, I was eager to get on with my real job: drinking lots of great beer (which is what I do anyways, job or no job).  I had been looking forward to this trip since it’s conception sometime in June, and certainly every day since while slaving away on the fire line.  Now that I was free and handsomely paid, I made my way back to Tucson to rendezvous with Ali and friends to kick off our grand tour at Barrio Brewery. 

Tentively we had planned to do both Barrio and Nimbus brewery that same night, but given their geographical inconvenience to each other, we settled on Barrio.  Barrio, located a few blocks south of downtown Tucson, has often been the logical next-step for many of the rock-climbers at the climbing gym a few blocks away for many years now, and Ali and I are no strangers to this step.  After working up a hearty sweat at a climbing gym, who doesn’t crave a nice cold beer?

The food was of an exceptional carb load that allowed for such conversation about vaginal ovular therapy devices (or what can I put up my vagina next?)  Plus, if you’re ever in need of a quality shuffle board arena, there is bar-none next to Barrio Brewery. 

The Beer: 
            “Holla Bock”:  I’m not too sure if this is some toxic mimic of the term “helles bock”, but given Tucson’s penchant for wily college youths and placating them at every turn, I wouldn’t be surprised.  Nonetheless, a quality brew that keeps you crawling back.  Dark, malty, sweet and strong, it reminds me of high school when I used to mix whiskey with Mom’s brown gravy.

            The rest of the beer was either above or below par, or both.  Either way, we can’t really remember.  I think it means we just got drunk with our buddies Brooke and Wade and forgot about being accurately snobby.  Good beers, good times, good company.

 Rating:  29 out of 37 derailed train cars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment